The Walton Historical Society was founded on May 21, 1883, by a group of citizens with prominent family names: Mead, Bassett, St. John, Townsend, Eells, Hanford and Harby.
Little is known about this group, but clearly they were adept in their efforts to lay the foundation for an active and dedicated community organization.
Another group was formed in the early 1920's. This group was led by Arthur W. North, who became the historian. Others included: B. G. North—in the line of Gabriel North, H. B. Townsend—in the line of Dr. Platt Townsend, Georgianna Pine Knapp—in the line of Joshua Pine.
Arthur W. North was to author several books on the history of Walton, all of which are available at Walton Historical Society.
In the 1940's and 50's the society came alive again. Members met in each other's homes. Kate Eells, who lived in the house we now call our historical home, was the Historian for a long time.
Then, in February 1965, the State of New York granted a charter "...incorporating Constance O. Peck, Henrietta Durfee Robinson, Beatrice Elderkin, Kate G. Eells and Raymond Shinn, and their associates and successors as an educational corporation under the corporate name of Walton Historical Society..."
Gradually, collections grew and the Society moved into a room at The William B. Ogden Library. In the early 1990's, the Village of Walton made available the area above the Walton Theater to store and exhibit the history of Walton.
In 2003, the Society purchased The Eells House at 9 Townsend Street, and moved its vast collections there. This house was built in 1856 by Henry Eells and was the lifelong home of Kate G. Eells, until her passing in 1980 at the age of 98.
The Eells House
© Walton Historical Society, 9 Townsend Street, Walton, NY 13856, (607) 865-5895 firstname.lastname@example.org